Leland Bell (b. 1922- d. 1991) was born in Cambridge, MD. Bell studied with the painter Karl Knaths in Provincetown, Massachusetts before moving to New York. He was a founding faculty member at the New York Studio School and the Parsons School of Design. A dedicated teacher, he also taught at Yale University, the Kansas City Art Institute, and Indiana University. Bell was married to the Icelandic artist Louisa Matthíasdóttir. His works are featured in such public collections as the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden and The Phillips Collection, Washington D.C., as well as the Canton Museum of Art, Canton, OH.